Schematic Authoring

gEDA schematic: NETs

Support and guides for anything to do with schematic authoring.

gEDA schematic: NETs

Postby Baldor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:27 am

I'm having some dificulty with gEDA: When labeling IO nets, if the name of the nets is like PortA1, PortA2, etc... i finish with all the pins joined by the same net. In the pin, I use net=PortA1:0 and value PortA1, net=PortA2:0 and value=PortA2, etc...I finish with all the PortA* nets like one.

It's evident the problem is with the pin number, and the program is considering all the PortA* the same net, while I need PortA1 to be one net, and PortA2 to be another. ¿What is the naming convention to avoid this?
Aprendiz de mucho, maestro de casi nada.
Random avatar
Baldor
Valued Member
Valued Member

Have thanks: 54 times

Re: gEDA schematic: NETs

Postby majenko » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:31 am

Wish I could help you. I don't use nets most of the time - I draw by hand.

When I do use nets they are automatically generated by gcsh2pcb to convert a gEDA gschem .sch file into a .net, .pcb and .cmd file.
Why not visit my eBay shop? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Majenko-Technologies

With your arse on the line, shoulder to the wheel, nose to the grindstone and back to the wall, this world is becoming a really, really, uncomfortable place.
majenko
Valued Member
Valued Member

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby Baldor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 am

If the nets have the alpha part diferent, the conversion is Ok. The ratnest of the SDA and SDL nets, is ok. The problem arises when trying to route all the pins of one port to a conector. Maybe I must try with Port1A instead of PortA1. But it's ugly.

BTW... I'm liking gEDA, but.... Worst cad user interface I ever seen, and I had seen a lot (Mechanical, not electronics)
Random avatar
Baldor
Valued Member
Valued Member

Postby majenko » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:47 am

Yeah, it does take some getting used to. Most of the interface is actually through the keyboard, which I kind of like - once you learn all the keypresses.

With your arse on the line, shoulder to the wheel, nose to the grindstone and back to the wall, this world is becoming a really, really, uncomfortable place.
majenko
Valued Member
Valued Member

Postby Baldor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 am

Solved. Net names should have :1 at the end. I needed to dig a little depper in google. The joys of os/free software... :-)

I actualy like a lot keyboard interfaces, but the problem is finding the documentation. All I'm finding is scatered arround the net, and a little tedious to bring all together.

I remember 16 years ago, typing comands in a SG Indy faster than the program was able to execute... Sometimes 1 minute typing, and time enough for a cofee break. :-)
Random avatar
Baldor
Valued Member
Valued Member

Postby majenko » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:25 pm

in PCB you have the Info menu. Within there is Key Bindings - that lists most of them for you. In gschem you have the hotkeys list (Help -> Hotkeys, or hh) that lists them all.

For this message the author majenko has received thanks:
Baldor
majenko
Valued Member
Valued Member

Postby Baldor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks. I have almost all set up. It's a matter of little more practice and patience, and finding the correct footprints :-)
Random avatar
Baldor
Valued Member
Valued Member

Postby majenko » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:34 pm

With time you'll find it's easier and quicker to make you own footprints that to hunt out premade ones.

majenko
Valued Member
Valued Member

Postby Baldor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:00 pm

I know. But now I have a lot to learn at the same time, and making my own components is not the first priority. If I try to learn all the things at the same time, I will acoplish nothing.

I have been three entire days playing with gEDA and without writing a single line of code, using the soldering iron, or even test the phototrigger, all to start redrawing and improving the circuits I already have. And just now I acomplished finishing the basic board with the pic, conectors and swhitches. Now is time to start with the periferials. (LCD, keyboard, camera and flash triggers, sensors...) :-)

It's being fun, but too much of the same at a time could become frustrating when starting with this hobby.
Random avatar
Baldor
Valued Member
Valued Member

Postby Baldor » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:44 am

I had to take your advice and start drawing footprints.... What a mess finding and using footpints in the net. It was dificult at first, since de documentation is scarce and mostly revolves arround create the text files. The few tutorials I found about creating them in PCB are in video... And I hate video tutorials that are not subtitled. (English is not my main languaje and I'm slightly deaf).

But at the end, all is working Ok, and now, instead of looking for footprints, I'm looking for datashets. :-)
Random avatar
Baldor
Valued Member
Valued Member

Next

Return to Schematic Authoring