Projects and Gadgets

A Nice UART - USB Adapter

One of the best ways to design/develop a project is collaborating with others.

A Nice UART - USB Adapter

Postby Jon Chandler » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:54 pm

As I was putting the finishing touches on an external USB-UART adapter for the TAP-28, one of the adapters I ordered from Ebay arrived. It had been a couple weeks since I had ordered it, so I didn't remember all of its features. It actually has the major features I was designing into my adapter, at a price that can't be beat. It's around US$6, including shipping.

It's called a "USB 2.0 to TTL UART 6PIN Module Serial Converter CP2102". offered by Y & L Cabin. It's a 0.5 * 0.75" board with a CP2102 chip, a USB connector on one end and 6 header pins on the other. Not much to it but everything it needs.

adapter front.jpg
adapter front.jpg (19.74 KiB) Viewed 4326 times

adapter back.jpg
adapter back.jpg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 4326 times

The second picture above shows the connections: Ground, TxD, RxD, RST, and 3.3V or 5V. It will supply either voltage from the USB interface. This of course makes it perfect to power a TAP-28 board equipped with an 18F25K20 to run Amicus code. It's also useful any time you want to have a serial interface to a PC without the need for using the PICKit 2 UART tool. You can use it with any terminal emulator or even interface to it using software that recognizes a COM port.

The picture below shows the interface in use with a TAP-28 board running Amicus code on an 18F25k20. It's powered only by this USB interface. Pretty slick! The LED on the adapter shows that it's connected to the PC and active (i.e., it's been properly enumerated).

front side.jpg
front side.jpg (688.11 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
Jon

Check out the TAP-28 PIC Application board at http://www.clever4hire.com/throwawaypic/
Jon Chandler

Have thanks: 324 times

Re: A Nice UART - USB Adapter

Postby Graham Mitchell » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:23 pm

What a great find Jon

How did everything go with the PC side of things? Were any drivers needed?
- the admin guy

Follow Digital DIY via Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | RSS Articles | RSS Forum

For site related queries/issues, please contact me via (if you're logged in, PM is fine)
Graham Mitchell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby Jon Chandler » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:47 pm

The CP2102 is a Silicon Labs chip. On the laptop, I needed to install a driver, which was conveniently included with the adapter on mini-CD. On the desktop, it was instantly recognized so the driver had been installed sometime in the past. Both computers are running Windows Vista so the drivers are current.

It looks like there are Mac and Linux drivers on the Silicon Labs web site.
Jon

Check out the TAP-28 PIC Application board at http://www.clever4hire.com/throwawaypic/
Jon Chandler

Postby Graham Mitchell » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:55 pm

Outstanding. At that price, it looks like installing a female header to accommodate the USB-UART adapter would be a lucrative option.
- the admin guy

Follow Digital DIY via Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | RSS Articles | RSS Forum

For site related queries/issues, please contact me via (if you're logged in, PM is fine)
Graham Mitchell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jon Chandler » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 pm

In the case of the TAP-28 board, the pinout isn't quite the same as what the PICKit 2 needs.

The best bet might be to install a length of cable on the adapter to the appropriate 6 pin connector. The adapter is designed to plug directly into the USB port - I used an extension cable so I didn't have to plug it into the USB port directly. The board is narrow enough to fit with other USB cables. It could be covered with a piece of heat shrink after a cable is attached.
Jon

Jon Chandler

Postby Jon Chandler » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:47 am

I actually got 2 USB-UART adapters today. The second one is a finished cable with a pigtail. It's supplied with female pigtails but you have to solder those on yourself.

This adapter features the Prolific chipset, and was easy to install also. Again, one computer had the driver, the other did not, but it was the opposite way around.

This converter has the advantage that it's a finished cable. It would be great connected to a board in an enclosure. On the down side, this adapter has only a 5 volt supply for the USB connector.

usb 2.jpg
usb 2.jpg (561.92 KiB) Viewed 4316 times

This cable also came from Ebay, with the title "2 x PL2303 USB/TTL/RS232 Serial Port Converter Module" from xscyz. 2 cables were a total of just under $13 including shipping, so the price for either adapter is about the same.
Jon

Jon Chandler

Postby Graham Mitchell » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 am

Another great find, though I'm leaning toward the first one. I think its the 3.3V support that nudges it through
- the admin guy

Graham Mitchell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jon Chandler » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:37 am

The Prolific adapter is the one I used for the revised signal generator.

I thought it was limited to supplying 5v but after carefully opening the snap-together housing by tripping over the cable, I found that it also has a 3.3volt connection like the CP2102 adapter.

viewtopic.php?p=2716#p2716

and to answer a question I know you'll ask....no, the CP2102 adapter won't fit in the Prolific shell - I tried.

Jon
Attachments
prolific pl2303 guts sm.jpg
prolific pl2303 guts sm.jpg (24.49 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
Jon

Jon Chandler

Postby be80be » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:22 pm

I think mine is better LOL I made it myself. That makes it highly adaptable like
1. you can add the code to any chip that has usb on board
2. Make just a stand along adapter
3 Could also make it put out real rs232 but that part I would have to do some real thinking like a buck-boost inverter. But that is doable to.
GEDC0061.JPG
I nice usb to serial adapter thanks to the people who wrote Jallibs
GEDC0061.JPG (135.83 KiB) Viewed 4007 times

I have to love Jalv2 It has usb and it's some what like swordfish it's modular called jalibs
test1.PNG
Them people at jalib wrote some nice drivers works with C18 too
test1.PNG (170.79 KiB) Viewed 4007 times

And here I'm talking to my self agin LOL
test2.PNG
Here I'm echo input character
test2.PNG (48.51 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
be80be
“No beard, no belly, no guru…”
be80be
Valued Member
Valued Member